Friday 25 September 2015

Tales from a rehearsal room floor: COMING UP - week 3

I make no qualms for saying this-- this is a hard show. But it's been a fantastic week

After the first 2 weeks of exploring and trying things out, this has been the week where we've begun refining and putting scenes together. Merging from one scene straight into the other. Albeit very very slowly, with an air of "what the hell happens next?" But we shall get there.

The process of merging scenes is very physical, so there is a lot of movement in the piece (i may have mentioned) - so we all hit a point of pure body ache this week. 

However, we've also had music in the room - written specifically for the show, to underscore and enhance what we're doing. And it sounds totally brilliant. An extra level to the show, which I do not doubt audiences will love (I hope)




There have also been initial costume fittings this week. With only 5 of us in the cast playing 20 characters, the costumes are very versatile. And with minimal pieces to represent certain characters (eg- a cross for the vicar) it's fair to say I can already see myself coming on with the wrong thing (at least, before we open!)

Personally at times my head has been going "what am I in, at this moment? Was my shirt last taken off on the left or the right?"

Oh, and the show also now has mask work and cartwheels in it. I'll leave it like that


So as we finish for the week, satisfied with where we are, we have our final week of rehearsals to look forward to. And the start of running the show in its entirely.

Eeeekkkkk!!!!

Ps- the full rehearsals shots can be seen 
http://www.watfordpalacetheatre.co.uk/page/coming-up#-Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment